Why do you drink decaf coffee?
This questions seems to be on the minds of many people all over the world. There are actually so many reasons why you should think about drinking decaf coffee as part of your day or week.
Why should you drink decaf coffee?
Reason 1 - Drink decaf for the flavour (it can be delicious)
However, It must be said that traditionally decaffeinated coffee has been a dirty word in the coffee world. Back in the 1970s, it had a bad reputation as tasting bitter and being full of chemicals. Actually even today, most roasters are not passionate about decaf coffee perhaps because they have not encountered good quality decaf green beans.
One needs only to try most decaf coffees currently on the market and you can taste this lack of passion or innovation. Roasters typically list decaf because they feel they have to do so. This is for historical reasons: decaf coffee was traditionally produced by using chemical solvents and the result was weak, insipid or bitter coffee. As a result of this, decaf coffee was commoditised into a low quality coffee “product”. At the same time, the decaffeination process is expensive and so, to keep the prices down, low quality coffees (often old coffee from past crops) were used.
But, our Decadent Decaf coffee are different. Fast forward a few decades and it’s all changed. Decadent Decaf Coffee Company uses the Swiss Water Process, which gently removes the caffeine and leaves the coffee flavours in the bean - using only highest quality green coffee beans for decaffeination.
Reason 2 - Drink decaf coffee for the many health benefits
- Less anxiety/stress and better quality of sleep than drinking classic caffeinated coffee
- Decaf coffee still contains high levels of anti-oxidants that can prevent conditions associated with the aging process and cancer. Studies have shown that regular decaf drinkers have reduced risks of incurring colon cancer. For female drinkers, the risks of breast cancer are also reduced.
- Studies have shown that women who drink one to three cups of decaf decrease all-cause mortality.
- Decaf coffee reduces the risk of incurring diabetes. The high anti-oxidant levels of decaf will protect the cells from damage that can lead to diabetes. Also, the decaf process will not eliminate chlorogenic acid, which helps regulate blood glucose levels.
- Caffeine has been linked to heart conditions like irregular palpitations, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Coffee contributes to the prevention of mental decline due to old age and Alzheimer's disease. The polyphenols found in coffee beans are not lost during the decaffeination process, which are responsible for boosting the brain's cognitive abilities and improving memory.
- Fat free/sugar free beverage.
- It’s a great source of hydration. The old myth that coffee is a diuretic has been proven wrong by scientists.
Reason 3 - Decaf coffee is ideal for conception, pregnancy and breastfeeding
Decaffeinated coffee is ideal for conception, pregnancy and breastfeeding. For more information on the benefits of decaf coffee during pregnancy, please click the link.