We’ve recently had several customers writing in to enquire if our decaf coffee was keto friendly. To be absolutely honest, we’d never heard of this new trend that’s very popular in North America and seemingly coming over to our shores.
So, what is the Keto Diet?
Standing for Ketogenic Diet, the Keto Diet is “a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diets. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat.
This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits.”
Fortunately, Keto drinks aren't limited to water – tea and coffee are allowed.
So, is decaffeinated coffee Keto Diet friendly?
The answer is, yes, you can consume both caffeinated and decaf coffee on the Keto Diet.
And what kinds of decaffeinated coffees can you drink on the Keto Diet?
Keto-friendly decaf coffee comes in a range of options:
- Simple black coffee (e.g espresso, americano, and iced coffee, which contain zero calories and carbs),
- Coffee with cream - boosts its fat content as part of the Keto Diet. Not milk though!
- Lattes – use unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk, for decaf lattes or cappuccinos.
- Dairy free, sugar-free pumpkin spice decaf latte – use coconut milk and add cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Keto decaf mocha – use coconut oil and unsweetened cocoa powder.