How many calories in a Cup of Coffee?
How many calories are in a cup of coffee?
The calories in coffee can vary dramatically and it really varies on the type of coffee and size, as well as ingredients.
On its own, as black coffee, whether regular or decaffeinated, coffee is almost zero calories – up to 5 calories realistically.
So, first, let’s discuss the possible ingredients that we can use in our coffees and how many calories they can add up to:
1 teaspoon of sugar contains 16 calories.
2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream contain 101 calories.
2 tablespoons of fat-free skimmed milk contain 10 calories.
2 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk contain 37 calories.
So, for example, if you add sugar, whipped cream and milk to your coffee, then it can become quite high in calories.
Now, let’s run through different coffee drinks and how many calories are in them?
- Ok, so black coffee – whether hot or iced or cold brew - is typically 2 to 5 calories.
- Espresso is the same – around 2 to 5 calories.
- Cappuccinos vary from 46 calories for skimmed milk to 72 calories for semi-skimmed milke
- Lattes are more calorific from between 72 calories and 134 calories
- Mochas are greater in calories between 129 and 160 calories
- Frozen coffee drinks typically have the most calories over 160 calories due to the sweet syrups that are used.
- Finally, bulletproof coffee can contain as much as 325 calories because it contains butter and coconut oil
Having said that, calories in coffee vary wildly depending on the size of the drink, which can be very large with coffee sizes starting from 8 ounces or 230 millilitres - to 20 ounces or 600 millilitres.
When you choose a large coffee drink, the amount milk is the type of milk is an important factor. So, what’s the difference in calories between different fat levels of milk?
Skimmed milk is 10 calories per 30 millilitres, Semi-skimmed milk is 15 calories per 30 millilitres and Full Fat milk is 20 calories per 30 millilitres.
But what about non-dairy alternatives – how many calories are there in almond, soy and oat milk?
In order of calories, almond milk is 4 calories per 30 millilitres, soy milk is 13 calories per millilitres and oat milk is 18 calories per millilitres.
Finally, what about coffee syrups? How many calories are in coffee syrups?
The amount of calories in coffee syrups depends on the syrup brand, but, generally speaking, ones serving of the average coffee syrup is 60 calories.
All in all, there a lot of factors in calculating calories in a cup of coffee!